flickr.............picasa.............twitter.............tumblr.............pinterest.............recipes.............crafty.............about me

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pea and Carrot Minted Soup

We made this soup the other night and it turned out rather well! I have an abundance of mint (we just don't do mojitos as often as this little plant would like), so I thought I'd try to use it in other ways :) Also, this gives me a chance to tell you about my favorite kitchen toy, my stick blender. This little gadget makes blended soups a breeze! I think, because we make soups so often, and for the time and energy and clean up it saves, it's an amazing buy! Before T got this for me, I had to scoop all the veggies out of the pot, plop them in an upright blender, blend, poor back in the pot, scoop more, blend more, etc., etc., etc. It's so much nicer now (and the stick blender's attachment is dishwasher safe!).
Bring to a boil:  5 c peas, fresh or frozen 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 2 leeks or 1 onion, chopped
5 c chicken stock (best if homemade)
Then add: 
1 T sugar
8 fresh mint leaves
1 tsp salt
Let simmer for 30 minutes, until all veggies are tender. Turn off heat. Blend until smooth.
Roux: 
Melt in small sauce pan:  3 T butter mix in: 2 T flour (or cornstarch, or arrowroot powder) 1 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper add: 1 c milk with wisk (or fork) and heat until thickened.
Combine roux with soup and stir well. Can be served hot or chilled.
Garnish with mint leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment