flickr.............picasa.............twitter.............tumblr.............pinterest.............recipes.............crafty.............about me

Monday, July 27, 2009

Shake a Leg!

of lamb, that is!
Taylor and I have been fortunate enough to be able to get great meat (naturally raised, grass-fed) from a not-too-distand farm. I have really enjoyed the system so far because the type and cut of meat from month to month is pretty random, so it keeps things mixed up for me without much thought on my part :) The less I have to think about the better, right?
It's also helped me broaden my recipe repetoir in the kitchen. I mean, chicken is good, but there are only so many ways I'm willing to prepare it :) So it's been nice to have different sausages, smoked meats, lamb!, and nice whole chickens (oh they're so much better than the chickens we got before) to experiment with. It's also great for us because the meat usually comes in cute "just right for two" packages :)
This is what I came up with last night, at any rate. Enjoy if you will!
Quick recipe for tasty leg of lamb (also works great for lamb chops!) serves 2 In a paper lunch bag, mix: 1/4 c whole grain flour (I used spelt) salt and pepper to taste (also could use paprika, if desired) 3 T milled flax seed (adds a nice hint of nuttiness to the lamb flavor) Place each piece of lamb in the bag and shake until thoroughly coated. Place on broiler pan and broil 4-6 minutes on each side (depending on your tastes).
[tip: if you have leftover shake-it-up mix, roll up the paper bag, put the whole thing in a zip loc bag (and label it) and stick it in the freezer for next time.] Serve with leftover rice and steamed green beans:
Drizzle olive oil into skillet and sprinkle with paprika (to taste). Add rice to skillet and spread 1-2 T dried onion over rice (or you can use fresh onion). Rinse green beans thoroughly and layer on top of rice and onions (don't dry the beans--the extra water will help steam the beans and warm up the rice). Cover skillet and cook on low heat until beans are tender (about 15 minutes). Stir to combine before serving.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment