flickr.............picasa.............twitter.............tumblr.............pinterest.............recipes.............crafty.............about me

Monday, April 14, 2008

Wedding Rings and Shiny Things

I almost hate to admit it, but occasionally I find myself looking longingly at big, sparkley, jeweled-filled wedding rings. I have fleeting thoughts like "I want a big ring too..." or "WOW WHAT A HUGE DIAMOND!" But those thoughts never last long, and I never really mean it. All I have to do is look at my own ring to remember how much I love it, and why we designed our rings the way we did. I knew I didn't want a huge diamond popping up out of my hand as I went about my daily tasks. I knew I wanted a crucifix incorporated somehow, and the rosary ring just "fit" with T's and my relationship. I always jokingly tell people, "Most women only get one diamond. I got ten." :) Call it pride if you want to, but I like to think of it as being contented. I agree with Chesterton when he says, "Being 'contented' ought to mean in English, as it does in French, 'being pleased.' Being content with an attic ought not to mean being unable to move from it and resigned to living in it; it ought to mean appreciating all there is in such a position." I am pleased with my ring. I appreciate it for all the sacrifice and love that T gave with it. And it's mine :) Now, this is NOT to say that I think big, sparkley, jeweled-filled wedding rings are bad or anything! I think that every woman feels about her ring the way I do about mine: "It's perfect and it's mine and it's from my sweet husband." Basically, no matter how much I think I might have wanted one big diamond, I'm absolutely and profoundly happy with my wedding ring. Just my thought for the day..

No comments:

Post a Comment