flickr.............picasa.............twitter.............tumblr.............pinterest.............recipes.............crafty.............about me

Monday, March 10, 2008

Twice-Baked Potatoes

T and I helped with a confirmation retreat this weekend at the parish where he works. It went very well, but we were exhausted when we got home around lunch time. I only had energy to warm up some left over soup and I baked a couple potatoes--one red and one sweet (a yam). We didn't eat the potatoes for lunch, and they were just sitting out 'come dinner time, so I had to improvise with the recipe below. I cut each potato in half length-wise, and sliced the insides of both crosswise (to allow the toppings to soak through. On the red potato I spread some butter and topped it with cheese (I used Irish cheddar--any kind would work). For the sweet potato I mixed together brown sugar and oats (uncooked) to form a crumb topping, which I spread thickly on the top of the two halves and dotted with butter (to make it crispy!). I put both potatoes under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the topping and then we ate them. I added sour cream and green onions to the red potato... and I have a hunch that some sort of sweetened sour cream or cream cheese would be delicious over the sweet potato. Next time.... :) The only thing I would change is this: instead of broiling them, I'd (really) bake them again at about 350 degrees for maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I don't know if this would be better or not, but our potatoes weren't warmed all the way through with the broiling method.

No comments:

Post a Comment